Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
The Rambling Shadows Jacket is fini!... well, that's not quite technically true. I still need buttons.
I will say that both Matt and I were concerned about it fitting me before I got the buttonbands on. It looked sloppy and not very flattering. However, doing the buttonbands was like magic, and I'm very happy with it. So let's do some project stats:
Rambling Shadows Jacket
Pattern: Rambling Rows Jacket
Yarn: Caron's Simply Shadows and Simply Soft
Problems with the Pattern: none that I noticed
Changes to the pattern: Nothing technical, but I goofed on the lower front panels (the decreases go in the opposite direction to how the pattern is written. I don't think it matters for what I was doing...) oh, and I think I may have put the buttonholes on the wrong side (oops). I did use a smaller needle for the ribbing than the pattern suggested.
Design Notes: I used the Simply Shadows for the body and the Simply Soft for the sleeves and the buttonbands. I didn't have much of the Simply Shadows yarn (and I ended up needing 5 skeins, with not a lot leftover), so I didn't bother trying to do any color matchinig up. That's the way the yarn came out of the skein.
Overall impressions: This is exactly what I had in mind. It was fast, cheap and easy. It's cozy and comfortable and I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I would do this pattern again in a heartbeat. I plan on using this sweater around the house, so I wanted something fast to knit, in inexpensive yarn that I could toss in the washer and dryer. I also wanted it soft. This absolutely fits the bill. As I said, I had been a little suspect as I got the body done, as the garter stitch was all stretched out. However, I'm now very happy with the fit and the style. I'll give the project a thumbs up.